With technology that is growing rapidly, we also definitely want to choose something sophisticated and fast like WiFi connection at home.
Especially if the WiFi connection at home is used by members of the house who are carrying out various activities such as online lectures, online schools, to working from home.
But what happens if there are problems or disturbances in our home WiFi connection, for example the internet is slow, can’t connect, and so on.
Well this time we will discuss what are the tips for speeding up WiFi connections at home which we will discuss in the following steps:
Perform Network Reset & Flushing DNS
Flush DNS is one way to speed up your home WiFi connection. By resetting the DNS client cache that is being used to adjust information from existing changes to a domain, new DNS, and name servers with new data.
How to reset network and how to flush DNS:
- First, open Command Prompt, right click and select Run As Administrator.
- Type the command exactly like this: ipconfig /flushdns then press Enter on the keyboard.
- After you have typed the new command again, namely: ipconfig /renew then Enter.
- Flush dns is done then close Command Prompt and try to access the internet.
Choose a Place with Strong WiFi Signal
A bad connection is an indication that your home location area may not be covered by your provider’s network. Or it could be because the signal range from your router is also not good so you have to move it to an affordable place.
- Avoid placing the router around areas that contain a lot of iron.
- Use a repeater to amplify the signal in a weak room.
- Keep away from equipment that contains a lot of electromagnetic waves or bluetooth.
Change QoS Settings
For people who use computers or laptops with the operating system Windows 8 and above, by default Windows will allocate 20% of the bandwidth for Windows update needs, and the rest is new for your needs.
So one way to speed up your home WiFi connection is to set your bandwidth to 100% for your internet. For that you can follow these steps:
- Click Start > Run > Type “gpedit.msc” (without the quotes).
- Click Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates.
- Click Network and then select the QoS Packet Scheduler menu.
- Double-click on the Limit Reservable Bandwidth column.
- Then select enable, and enter a value of 0 in the bandwidth limit.
- Click Apply.
- Restart Computer.
Set IRPStackSize Higher
How to increase your home WiFi connection, then you can set the IRPStackSize to be higher. If you increase this value then you can get a more optimal internet speed. By default the IRPStackSize value is 15, so it can be added up to 50. Follow the steps below.
- Click the Start menu > Run > type “regedit” (without the quotes) to open the Registry Editor window.
- Click the following menu HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesLanmanServerParameters.
- In the Parameters folder, right-click on the DWORD file named “IRPStackSize”, click Modify, and change the value to 50.
- If the file is not found then create this DWORD file and then right click New, DWORD Value. Create it with the name “IRPStackSize” and the Value is 50.
- Select OK, and close the Registry Editor window.
- Do Restart your computer.
Check WiFi Signal Strength
If the internet speed is, you can then check how strong the signal emitted by the WiFi router in your home is.
To check it you can use a special application with a WiFi signal strength check, such as NetSpot, Amped, Wireshark, Cloudcheck, and others.
You should make sure the WiFi signal is in the range of -60 decibel-milliwatts (dBm) to over -50 dBm or above. If it is below -70 dBm, a signal that is too weak will not be able to provide a fast internet connection.
Use a Quality Router
If all of the above methods you do one by one but still fail, then there is most likely a problem with your router. It’s possible that your router is too old so that it is damaged and has decreased performance. Or you can also use a low-end class device that has slow performance.
Therefore make sure you use a router with good quality and also spend a little money to buy a good router in order to get a good connection quality and get a smooth and fast WiFi connection.